I’ve said this before, and I’m going to keep saying it, “Ignorance is the root of all that kills.” All of our problems can be traced back to ignorance, and the big ignorant fuck ups in the world are built out of little ignorant fuck ups. Today I’d like to talk about one of the little fuck ups in society that’s becoming accepted as legitimate behavior and shifting the scope of acceptable behavior a step in the direction of stupid. It’s only a little step, but having taken that step it’s only a matter of time until we take the next step and the next step and the next step until we live in an idiocracy, which would never have been possible if we hadn’t taken that first step.
I’m talking about using the acronym, “LOL.” It’s equivalent to a valley girl using the word “like” 15 times in every sentence or gangstas intentionally mispronouncing and abbreviating words to make themselves sound more like they’re from the streets. Look around you. Only sheeple infected with mainstream pop culture say LOL. Smart people don’t say LOL. Professors don’t say LOL. Heads of State don’t say LOL. Stephen Hawking would never type “LOL” no matter how convenient it is. LOL is a tell-tale sign of stupidity, a motto, a badge, a label, a secret handshake.
I don’t care what arguments you tell yourself, me, or anyone else to justify typing/saying LOL. I don’t care if it’s your guilty pleasure. I don’t care if you’re joking. I don’t care if you think it’s harmless. I don’t care if you think I take life too seriously. The excuses people use to justify their lack of intellectual standards aren’t valid justifications; THEY’RE THE PROBLEM.
I’m not asking you whether or not LOL is stupid or justifiable. I’m telling you. LOL is stupid, and people who use it should be ashamed of their lack of intellectual standards.So please, stop lowering the intellectual standards of society, and stop embarrassing yourself. Stop saying LOL. And don’t hate me for telling you this. You needed to hear it. I’m trying to help you be a better person.
However you felt about this post, you may feel similarly about these:
- 10 signs you’re a sheeple
- How pop culture warps our perception of reality
- Why you should boycott pop culture
- Milestones in the decline of American pop culture
- The world won’t get better until you stop being a vidiot
- Why the movie, “Brave” made me facepalm and Hollywood needs an intervention
- Why “Tomorrowland” made me facepalm
- Why did “Full House” and “Saved by the Bell” exist?
- 6 reasons not to let your children read/watch Twilight
- 5 reasons why I hate Starbucks
- Cost/benefit analysis of internet trolling
- We need to talk about this pants situation.
- 13 things I won’t say
- Things I wish someone would invent