Dan Carthy, COO of the American fast-food restaurant, Chick-Fil-A recently reconfirmed that the company opposes same-sex marriages. This led several American mayors to respond by saying that new Chick-Fil-A restaurants weren’t welcome in their cities. This led Fox News employee and controversy profiteer, Mike Huckabee to coordinate a Chick-Fil-A appreciation day on August 1st, 2012 in which conservative Americans were encouraged to buy fast food from Chick-Fil-A to show that they support free speech and the sanctity of traditional marriage. The publicity stunt was so successful that Chick-Fil-A broke its sales records that day.
This was a hollow victory for America. August 1st, 2012 will be remembered as a dark day in American history for several solid reasons. Most importantly, it doesn’t matter what your reasons are for opposing gay marriage. It doesn’t matter how good they sound on paper. If you prevent another human being from having the same rights as you then you oppose equal rights. “Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day” was nothing more than “Inequality Appreciation Day.” Americans turned out in droves on August 1st to celebrate their opposition to equality. That’s not something to be proud of. That’s shameful. This is how “Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day” looks to the rest of the world:
That’s a hollow victory, made even more hollow by the fact that it was a response to American mayors stating that Chick-Fil-A would not be welcome in their cities. That’s not a threat that any American mayor could (or would) have ever actually followed through on. The comments of those mayors were merely publicity stunts that put their names and faces on international news in an attempt to win liberal voters, but there was no liberal conspiracy behind their remarks. Their remarks weren’t proof that liberals are oppressing conservatives. The only people who have, are and will be oppressed throughout this whole ordeal are homosexuals, and it’s conservatives who are doing the oppressing. The ignorant threats made by these mayors only prove one thing: that the America’s political election system is so flawed that it allows ignorant people to be elected to positions of incredible power, and the three primary qualifications one needs in order to win these jobs are money, charisma, and lack of integrity. This whole Chick-Fil-A debacle should have rallied conservatives around the cause of election reform. Instead, conservatives are ignoring the root of the problem and fighting a phantom war against a liberal conspiracy that doesn’t exist at the expense of homosexuals…or as I like to call them, “human beings.” Nobody should be congratulating themselves for this.
Conservatives may have won a battle in their minds, but they’ve lost the war. If the war is to preserve the sanctity of Biblical teachings, then conservative America surrendered centuries ago. Americans are just pretending to be Christians. I hate pointing out the obvious, but apparently, it needs to be done. So let’s look at some quotes from the Bible:
- Genesis 3:16- “Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.”
- Genesis 4:19- And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
- Genesis 26: 34- And Esau was forty years old when he took to wife Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Bashemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite.
- Genesis 32:22- And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two women slaves, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok.
- Exodus 21:2-27 These are the laws you are to set before them: If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free. “But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free, then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life. If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money. Anyone who strikes a person with a fatal blow is to be put to death. However, if it is not done intentionally, but God lets it happen, they are to flee to a place I will designate. But if anyone schemes and kills someone deliberately, that person is to be taken from my altar and put to death. Anyone who attacks their father or mother is to be put to death. Anyone who kidnaps someone is to be put to death, whether the victim has been sold or is still in the kidnapper’s possession. Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property. If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise. An owner who hits a male or female slave in the eye and destroys it must let the slave go free to compensate for the eye. And an owner who knocks out the tooth of a male or female slave must let the slave go free to compensate for the tooth.
- Exodus 22:25 If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury.
- Exodus 35:2-3- Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you a holy day, a sabbath of rest to the lord: whoever doeth work therein shall be put to death. Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day.
- 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.”
- 1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
- Mark 2:9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (This is saying divorce is supposed to be illegal.)
- Leviticus 19: 20 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee. And whosoever lieth carnally with a woman, that is a bondmaid, betrothed to a husband, and not at all redeemed, nor freedom given her; she shall be scourged; they shall not be put to death, because she was not free.
- Matthew 7:1-4 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
I could go on, but this is enough to get the point across. American Christians already violate the sanctity of marriage, polygamy, slavery, interest-free loans, chauvinism, the Sabbath, and even clothing. Yet you draw the line at homosexuality. Why? When you break every other rule in the Bible, why bother putting your foot down on this one issue? You’re already going to hell yourself.
Actually, that’s not true. Read back through these passages from the Bible that I’ve quoted. Do these things sound like commandments that the creator of the universe would really give people? Or do they sound more like cultural standards primitive tribesmen wrote down after they were already being practiced and the authors just gave credit to God after the fact so these civil laws would have unquestionable authority backing them up?
Face it, Christianity is mythology. Cherry picking Christian doctrine and legally oppressing other people (in violation of the principle of separation of church and state) isn’t doing God’s work. It’s merely cherry picking and preserving an obsolete, primitive culture’s misunderstandings and lies. Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day wasn’t a victory for family values or spiritual righteousness. It was a victory for mythology. It was a victory for upholding beliefs that aren’t true. Believing in something that isn’t true is insanity. Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day was literally a victory for insanity. That’s not cause to celebrate. That’s cause to be afraid.
If you’re a conservative American and you’ve read this far, I don’t expect anything I’ve said will overturn your beliefs. So if you don’t take anything else away from this post, focus on this one fact: If conservative America spent half as much time and money on advocating electoral reform and anti-corruption legislation as it does oppressing minorities we could actually live in a safer, healthier, more prosperous world, but don’t you ever expect the world to get any better as long as oppression is the only cause that gets you off the couch and the farthest it gets you is the nearest fast food restaurant.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
- Why do people believe life is meaningless, and what do you do with your life if that’s true?
- How can the universe and life exist without God? What’s the purpose?
- Do agnostics fear death?
- Do agnostics ask, “Why is God is so cruel?”
- An agnostic take on God
- An agnostic take on Pascal’s Wager
- An agnostic take on intelligent design
- This Was Your Life: The Agnostic (Comic)
- An Old Man From Jersey Explains The Chicken And the Egg (Comic)
- Predictions on the New Atheist movement
- Are you a meta Atheists or pop Atheists?
- This Was Your Life: The Atheist (Comic)
- So you don’t believe in God. What do you do now?
- Should science be legally recognized as a religion?
- The non-believers’ 7 deadly sins
- The non-believers’ 10 “commandments”
- 9 reasons to be kind outside of religion
- You already have ethics without religion
- My secular theory on ethics
- Karma ghosts (My secular theory on Karma)
- An Old Man From Jersey Explains The Difference Between Right and Wrong (Comic)
The Bible is mythology
- How I became a Christian and then lost my faith
- You need to consider the possibility your religion is mythology
- The mythology test
- A short summary of the Bible
- 10 scriptures that show the Bible is mythology
- 3 Signs the Bible is mythology
- 46 Questions Christians have to struggle with that non-believers can answer in 4 words
- 4 questions every Christian needs to answer about Exodus 21
- A more realistic take on the 10 commandments
- What I think about Satan
- This Was Your Life: The Satanist (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: The Jew (Comic)
- And Old Man From Jersey Explains Religion (Comic)
Christianity is Harmful to Society
- Why you should not respect religious beliefs
- 10 ways the Bible ruins society
- 10 ways the Bible will drive you insane
- 7 ways the Bible will make you an immoral person
- 12 things Christians have to worry about the nonbelievers don’t
- 10 benefits of Christianity you can achieve without believing in mythology
- 3 Reasons Christianity was largely responsible for The Holocaust
- It’s time to stop mutilating baby boys’ genitals
- It’s time to stop celebrating Easter
- It’s time to stop celebrating Christmas
- The power of prayer
- The Island of Mana: A Story About Colonialization (Comic)
Preaching, witnessing and arguing with Christians
- 21 reasons it’s impossible to argue with Christians
- 15 mind control techniques both churches and cults use
- Christian billboards I wish Atheists would make
- 10 ways to be a better Christian witness on the internet
- 10 signs you should stop pretending to be Christian
- Believing in Christianity is always absurd, but more so for certain ethnic groups
- American Christians, you don’t believe or practice what the Bible says about marriage
- Traditional Christian values are neither Christian or traditional
- Christians, you believe in science
- This Was Your Life: A Christian Woman (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: A Christian Man (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: The Puritan (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: Santa (Comic)