I have this theory about where heroes come from. Look throughout American history, and you can find some incredible heroes who fought in the name of social justice. There are no great leaders today. America is so starved for real heroes that it’s resorted to looking up to sports players and TV characters as substitutes. Why don’t we have any heroes, and why were there so many in the past? What was different?
As cliché as it is to pull the “Fight Club” card, I think Chuck Palahniuk touched on it when he wrote that we have no great war to fight. If you look back through history at any hero anywhere you’ll notice that they all had great wars to fight. Think about Winston Churchill. He was a great orator, a capable leader, and a massive alcoholic. Ask yourself this, if it weren’t for Hitler, would many American know Winston Churchill’s name?
There are rarely heroes without a war to respond to because human nature is to sit around docilely as long as nothing is bothering you. The more something bothers you the more you respond to it. However, depending on how house-broken you are, you’ll put up with degrading levels of abuse before you stand up for yourself. Some people are so housebroken they’d let themselves get poked to death with a stick. Some people are so housebroken they’d kill to keep getting poked by that familiar stick.
Some people get fed up with getting poked by the stick and stand up and take the stick away. From an evolutionary standpoint, it sort of makes sense. If there’s no need for heroes then nobody would be motivated to become a hero. Unfortunately, heroes don’t seem to stand up until the poking has turned into bloody beatings.
So you have to ask yourself, how much are you getting poked? Have you ever seen anyone getting hurt or killed from the poking around you? And at what level would you actually stand up and be a hero? Or would you take your beatings to the grave?
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
Talk About Saving the World
- A grim letter from a Wise Sloth fan about the state of the world
- We need to talk about creating Utopia
- It’s time to stop guilt-tripping poor people into saving the environment
- Real life activism quest card deck template
- Occupy LOL Street: A For Anonymous (Comic)
- Occupy LOL Street: The Burden of Responsibility (Comic)
- Occupy LOL STret: The Constitutional Convention (Comic)
- Occupy LOL Street: The Guilded Age (Comic)
Be Better People
- Society won’t improve until you do
- 10 signs you’re a sheeple
- 10 reasons you’re surrounded by idiots
- The world won’t improve until you stop being a vidiot
- The world won’t get better until you stop being a consumer whore
- Why isn’t everyone trying to make the world a better place?
- Holding onto out cultures is holding the world back
- 4 reasons terrorism doesn’t work and 4 alternatives that do
- The world sucks because people are stupid. the solution is free online education.
- Occupy LOL Street: The Butterfly Effect (Comic)
Build a Better World
- My 1-point plan on how to save the world
- Sustainable monasteries could solve poverty, pollution and refugee crises
- Concrete modular floating islands could solve poverty, pollution and refugee crises
- Dear Generation X, please build a better world
- Conservatives, stop talking about overthrowing the government
- Secular, intellectual monastery designs
- How to build a concrete houseboat or island
- Occupy LOL Street: A Brave New Village (Comic)
- Occupy LOL Street: The Freedom Flotilla (Comic)