It’s time to stop celebrating Christmas. It’s a ridiculous holiday, and it does more harm than good. Christmas was originally a Pagan holiday that celebrated the winter solstice, but 300 years after Jesus’s death, the Roman Christian theocrats made up a lie that Jesus was born on the winter solstice to steal the appeal of the celebration and undermine their competition. It’s one mythology telling a lie to undermine another mythology.
In the 1920’s marketers working for Coca~Cola invented the modern version of Santa Clause in order to co-op the grandeur of Christmas from the Christians and use it to indoctrinate gross consumerism into children, which is a distinctly un-Christian and un-Pagan practice. So Christmas is a celebration of irresponsibility, lies, and mythology. This holiday is an exercise in, and a celebration of, insanity.
Humanity is smart enough to lay this obsolete holiday to rest and move on. I suggest we replace Christmas with a new holiday called, “Just Help Someone Day.” You don’t kill a coniferous tree or spoil your children on Just Help Someone Day. You don’t dress up like a Pagan monster. You don’t put up lights or lawn decorations. You just go help somebody. The reason you celebrate Just Help Somebody Day is because it’s rational and empathetic. It’s what you should be doing anyway. If you simply must have presents and festive traditions then we could have Present Day, Hot Chocolate Day or Silly Hats Day. Let’s just celebrate life without pretending to believe in mythology and lies.
If we keep raising kids on absurd, irresponsible, anti-intellectual traditions they’ll keep living in a warped reality and acting accordingly foolish. If we get kids used to thinking critically and helping people, maybe they’ll retain those cultural practices into adulthood and pass them on to their kids. First, we have to raise the bar and stop celebrating Christmas.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
- Why do people believe life is meaningless, and what do you do with your life if that’s true?
- How can the universe and life exist without God? What’s the purpose?
- Do agnostics fear death?
- Do agnostics ask, “Why is God is so cruel?”
- An agnostic take on God
- An agnostic take on Pascal’s Wager
- An agnostic take on intelligent design
- This Was Your Life: The Agnostic (Comic)
- An Old Man From Jersey Explains The Chicken And the Egg (Comic)
- Predictions on the New Atheist movement
- Are you a meta Atheists or pop Atheists?
- This Was Your Life: The Atheist (Comic)
- So you don’t believe in God. What do you do now?
- Should science be legally recognized as a religion?
- The non-believers’ 7 deadly sins
- The non-believers’ 10 “commandments”
- 9 reasons to be kind outside of religion
- You already have ethics without religion
- My secular theory on ethics
- Karma ghosts (My secular theory on Karma)
- An Old Man From Jersey Explains The Difference Between Right and Wrong (Comic)
The Bible is mythology
- How I became a Christian and then lost my faith
- You need to consider the possibility your religion is mythology
- The mythology test
- A short summary of the Bible
- 10 scriptures that show the Bible is mythology
- 3 Signs the Bible is mythology
- 46 Questions Christians have to struggle with that non-believers can answer in 4 words
- 4 questions every Christian needs to answer about Exodus 21
- A more realistic take on the 10 commandments
- What I think about Satan
- This Was Your Life: The Satanist (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: The Jew (Comic)
- And Old Man From Jersey Explains Religion (Comic)
Christianity is Harmful to Society
- Why you should not respect religious beliefs
- 10 ways the Bible ruins society
- 10 ways the Bible will drive you insane
- 7 ways the Bible will make you an immoral person
- 12 things Christians have to worry about the nonbelievers don’t
- 10 benefits of Christianity you can achieve without believing in mythology
- 3 Reasons Christianity was largely responsible for The Holocaust
- It’s time to stop mutilating baby boys’ genitals
- It’s time to stop celebrating Easter
- Never Forget Chick-Fil-A’s Inequality Appreciation Day
- The power of prayer
- The Island of Mana: A Story About Colonialization (Comic)
Preaching, witnessing and arguing with Christians
- 21 reasons it’s impossible to argue with Christians
- 15 mind control techniques both churches and cults use
- Christian billboards I wish Atheists would make
- 10 ways to be a better Christian witness on the internet
- 10 signs you should stop pretending to be Christian
- Believing in Christianity is always absurd, but more so for certain ethnic groups
- American Christians, you don’t believe or practice what the Bible says about marriage
- Traditional Christian values are neither Christian or traditional
- Christians, you believe in science
- This Was Your Life: A Christian Woman (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: A Christian Man (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: The Puritan (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: Santa (Comic)