I was inspired to make this quest card deck after seeing multiple video games in which a computer character will give the human player a quest card, a piece of paper with instructions, rewards, and consequences on it, to give them goals to complete and incentives to motivate them. Sometimes players follow a chain of quest cards that can only be obtained by completing the lower-level quests. I thought if video game characters can walk a human through a complex quest to do something important in a virtual world, why couldn’t a real human give a real card to another real person, and guide them through accomplishing a goal that’s important in real life? What if we had quest card chain desks that organize groups of people into solving the most important problems facing humanity? There’s no reason you couldn’t. So I made a prototype.
How to use the quest card deck template:
1: Identify one serious environmental, economic, humanitarian or other problem in the world.
2: Write a description of the problem in the “Challenge Quest Chain” boxes and a general description of the quest.
3: Using the guides below, come up with thirteen quests for each problem following the prompts on the top two rows. Write the quest descriptions/instructions on the row of playing cards to the right of each quest chain.
4: Print out the cars and give them to people. Offer rewards for completing them.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
Talk About Saving the World
- A grim letter from a Wise Sloth fan about the state of the world
- We need to talk about creating Utopia
- It’s time to stop guilt-tripping poor people into saving the environment
- Occupy LOL Street: A For Anonymous (Comic)
- Occupy LOL Street: The Burden of Responsibility (Comic)
- Occupy LOL STret: The Constitutional Convention (Comic)
- Occupy LOL Street: The Guilded Age (Comic)
Be Better People
- Society won’t improve until you do
- 10 signs you’re a sheeple
- 10 reasons you’re surrounded by idiots
- The world won’t improve until you stop being a vidiot
- The world won’t get better until you stop being a consumer whore
- Why the world won’t change much on its own
- Holding onto out cultures is holding the world back
- Where do heroes come from?
- 4 reasons terrorism doesn’t work and 4 alternatives that do
- The world sucks because people are stupid. the solution is free online education.
- Occupy LOL Street: The Butterfly Effect (Comic)
Build a Better World
- My 1-point plan on how to save the world
- Sustainable monasteries could solve poverty, pollution and refugee crises
- Concrete modular floating islands could solve poverty, pollution and refugee crises
- Dear Generation X, please build a better world
- Conservatives, stop talking about overthrowing the government
- Secular, intellectual monastery designs
- How to build a concrete houseboat or island
- Occupy LOL Street: A Brave New Village (Comic)
- Occupy LOL Street: The Freedom Flotilla (Comic)