Marriage is the combining of two lives into one. From a romantic perspective, this is a beautiful thing. From a practical perspective, it’s counterproductive. Marriage is like a business merger. It involves two separate people with separate goals and separate resources available to accomplish their respective goals. When you get married, you join another person in a business contract. Then your assets and goals become inseparable.
This works great in two scenarios:
1: If all of your goals are exactly the same.
2: Neither of you has any goals.
The first scenario has never happened. The second is more common than it should be. If you don’t fall into either, you’re going to have to make compromises with your lover. You’ve probably heard someone say, “compromise is the key to a successful relationship.” This sounds fair, but it oversimplifies life.
Compromise means neither person gets exactly what they want so both parties can get a little of what they want. Think about this slowly: The end result is that nobody gets what they really want. Let me repeat that, “Nobody gets what they want.”
Happiness is achieved by fulfilling your wants. If you rarely get to fulfill your wants, you’ll rarely get to experience full happiness… unless you lower your expectations. In other words, unless you give up on your hopes and dreams. Marriage is a doomed business venture if it makes both parties unhappy until they give up and accept a substandard life, all the while using cognitive dissonance to excuse away the negative realities of marriage until they no longer live in reality.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
Sex positions and techniques
- How to go down on a girl
- How to go down on a guy
- How to perform foreplay
- How to have sex in the missionary position
- How to have sex in the doggy style position
- How to have sex in the cowgirl position
- How to have anal sex: A beginner’s guide
General Sex Advice
- Basic advice to male virgins on how to have sex
- Basic advice to female virgins on how to have sex
- How to be bad at sex: 17 misconceptions and mistakes to avoid
- How to spice up your sex life without getting too kinky
- Advice on sexual domination and submission
- Introduction to sex toys
- Does penis size matter?
- Tips on impressing women using Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- Tips on impressing men using Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- 10 Tips on flirting
- 15 tips on internet dating
- The futility of being fake
- Tips on conversation: Part 1
- Tips on conversation: Part 2
- 10 character traits to look for in a long-term romantic partner
- Stages of a romantic relationship
- 13 rules of successful relationships
- 11 reasons not to bitch at your man
- The evolution of my definition of love
- My theories about cheating on tasks and lovers
- Why men should wear nice underwear
Philosophy of Sexuality
- What are transsexuals? Why are they suddenly popular? Why do Conservative fear them?
- My theory on why so many women have rape fantasies
- My long theory on gender labels and sexual morality
- Demonizing pleasure is a failed experiment
- My short theory on sexual morality
- Why you need to be a little slutty
- What is good porn?
- Why I don’t like strip clubs
- Why I like strip clubs
My Tweets About Romance
- #11: Love, relationships, and communication
- #12: Dating, cheating, exes, masturbation, oral sex and lust