A friend sent me a Youtube video and asked for my opinion on it. I had so much to say about it that I wrote a blog about it. The video argues that America’s progressive tax system rewards the lazy and punishes the rich. If you don’t want to watch the five-minute video, I’ve summarized it in a one-page comic below.
In case the message in the video isn’t clear, the producers at PragerU.com made at least two more, Do The Rich Pay Their Fair Share? and The War on Work, reiterating the point: Poor people just aren’t trying hard enough, and rich people are hard workers who have to feed the leeches. PragerU probably isn’t run by capitalist conspirators who are knowingly creating misleading propaganda to placate the masses into accepting a life of indignity, fear, and toil. There are millions of other Americans who have the same perception of reality and want to spread the truth as they see it.
Recently a story went viral after a twenty-six-year-old woman lost her job for writing a blog called, “An Open Letter To My CEO” about how little money she made and how hard it was/is to survive. Then a twenty-nine-year-old wrote a response that went viral. She basically told the first girl to suck it up, work harder and stop expecting handouts. She’d probably tell me the same thing if she read the open letter to my CEO I wrote five years ago.
Nobody wants to give handouts to lazy people who don’t want to work. Saying that poor people are just poor because they’re not working hard enough is a warped perception of reality at best and a straw man argument at worst. Below is a comic that more accurately reflects America’s class and tax system:
The poor are not America’s enemy, they’re its victims. The ultra-rich aren’t heroes. They’re the creators and sustainers of economic oppression. They’re going to continue to make economic inequality worse as long as they have all the money and thus all the power, and they’re going to hold onto their money and power as long as Americans justify and glorify their own slavery.
The economic revolution America needs has to happen in the minds of Americans. They need to understand how the economy is stacked against them and start pointing fingers at the real source of the problem.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
Predatory Capitalism Creates Poverty
- Poverty is the root of the world’s biggest problems, and predatory capitalism is the root of poverty
- The fundamental problem with the economy
- The poor aren’t taking all your money. The rich are.
- 7 economic injustices we all accept
- The downside of economic growth
- Cost/benefit analysis of economic oppression
- How predatory capitalism warps the way we define maturity
- The lottery is a microcosm of America
- Stop talking about guns and start talking about poverty
- How the economy works (Comic)
Socialism and Communism
- Americans need to learn the difference between socialism, communism, and capitalism
- Billionaires won’t save you, and socialism won’t kill you
- Who will help me make some bread? (Short story)
The Life of the Rich
- The legacy of a billionaire
- The letter I’ll never send my CEO
- This Was Your Life: The billionaire (Comic)
- How becoming a billionaire works (Comic)
The Life of the Poor
- What it’s like to be poor
- My American Beauty-esque rant about life in America
- Why do poor people play the lottery?
- Why are Americans so violent and unhappy?
- You might be depressed because the system is crazy, not because you are
- The Adventures of Monk and Punk: Book 1 (Comic)
- Occupy LOL Street: The Plight of the Homeless (Comic)
Oppression in the Workplace
- Advice for young workers
- Stop treating people like shit and they’ll start giving a fuck
- 7 ways worker’s rights still need to improve
- 7 reasons minimum wage should be higher
- The injustice of employee contracts
- Professionalism is a straitjacket
- We need to do more to help people get the job they’re suited for
- The customer is not always right
- A Brief History of the Working Class (Comic)
Success and Retirement
- Life Path Flow Chart
- Why does it have to be so hard to retire?
- How to escape poverty
- Have a healthy balance of passion and duty
- Is it lazy to not want to work?
The Housing Market
- The housing market is a crime against humanity
- Suburbia is a sensory deprivation chamber
- How the housing market works (Comic)
Healthcare in America
The Stock Market
- How the stock market works (Comic)
- How bank greeters work (Comic)
- How freedom works (Comic)
- 12 Things wrong with America’s tax system
- Why do so many small businesses fail?
- A novel approach to taxing the rich
- Introduction to cryptocurrency
- The most important factor in the value of cryptocurrencies, and how it applies to STEEM
Fixing the Economy
- My 1-point plan on how to save the world
- Humanity’s quality of life is relative to the quality of business model we use
- Politics won’t stop being evil until economics stops being evil
- Collapse is the product of unsustainability. Sustainability is the product of sustainability.
- The economy needs a love stimulus
- The world won’t get better until you stop being a consumer whore
- Buy a better world by donating dividends
- One dollar equals one vote in the economy