Most people can agree that children’s television programming should be mentally healthy. Very few people would be happy if children’s television programming contained footage of cannibalistic DVDA cosplay snuff action. Very few people want the paperback versions of “Ichi the Killer” or “Old Boy” in middle school libraries.
If we’re so serious about protecting children from things that are potentially unhealthy for their tiny, fragile minds then why did “Full House” or “Saved by the Bell” ever exist at all? Both of those programs depicted a straight edge version of reality that doesn’t actually exist and shouldn’t. And all of the main characters in those programs were depicted as role models to be emulated. They even demanded to be emulated.
Even if the producers didn’t know they were creating role models, psychologists have known for decades that children mimic adults and anyone else they perceive as an authority figure. So if you set a kid down and make them watch the same television show every day for 10 years they’ll incorporate that show into their perception of reality.
Neglected children who watch a lot of television may see more adults on television than in real life. They could easily get the impression that every adult is supposed to behave and think sort of like Danny Tanner. They might not have anyone in their life to look up to but Zack Morris. But Danny Tanner and Zack Morris aren’t characters one should emulate.
Pretending you live in a straight edge world isn’t optimistic and responsible. It’s naive and unhealthy. Lying to children so they’ll believe they live in a straight edge world run by straight edge adults isn’t mature or responsible. It’s counterproductive and unhealthy. It misleads impressionable viewers the same way internet pornography misleads pubescent boys into thinking casual sex always ends with the guy cumming on the girl’s face.
I’m not saying there’s anything morally wrong with sex as long as you’re safe and exercise reasonable moderation, but the adults in Full House would never even admit to ever being naked. Married couples don’t even sleep in the same beds in Hollywood G-rated sitcoms. They’re plastic wrapped angels: boring, lifeless and fake. They don’t teach kids to be responsible. They teach kids to be boring, lifeless and fake, which sets them up for failure and stress.
Striving to be that lifelessly, joyously “good” doesn’t help people become or accomplish anything. It doesn’t impress deities. It’s just something to stress out over and feel guilty about. The alternative is to just get on with your life.
Why expose your children to detrimental role models? If you’re going to do that then at least expose them to fun, detrimental role models…like Bernard Black. Come on Hollywood. Create some intelligent, morally introspective characters like Dr. House who aren’t self-destructive drug addicts.
And come on parents. If your kids grow up watching Nickelodeon and Disney then don’t be surprised when they act like monsters… and don’t say you did your best to raise your children. You set them up to base their perception of reality on distorted information. In other words, by letting your children watch unrealistically straight edge television programming, you lied to them and drove insane.
No character flaw is more dangerous than stupidity, and when kids are raised on stupidity, they become stupid. Then they become a danger to themselves and others.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
General Pop Culture
- 8 Ways pop culture warps our perception of reality
- Why you should boycott pop culture
- 10 signs you’re a sheeple
- 10 reasons you’re surrounded by idiots
- 13 things I won’t say anymore
- You might be depressed because the system is crazy, not because you are
- 20 problems Americans accept as normal but don’t have to
- 7 economic injustices we all accept
- Holding onto out cultures is holding the world back
- Recommended intelligent books and videos
- My theory on gun control
- Stop talking about guns and start talking about poverty
- My theory on illegal immigration
- Borders are inhumane
- 7 reasons minimum wage should be higher
- Is it lazy to not want to work?
- It’s time to stop guilt-tripping poor people into saving the environment
- The Global Warming Denier
- What are transsexuals? Why are they suddenly popular? Why do Conservative fear them?
- Should transsexuals be allowed in the military?
- 9 reasons not to join the united states military
- Patriotism is not a virtue. It’s insanity.
- American cops, you’re delusional if you don’t understand why civilians hate you
- Why are Americans so violent and unhappy?
- Stop treating people like shit and they’ll start giving a fuck
- Americans need to learn the difference between socialism, communism, and capitalism
- Why Obamacare made me facepalm
- Islam needs an intervention
- Never Forget Chick-Fil-A’s Inequality Appreciation Day
- It’s time to stop mutilating baby boys’ genitals
- Why you should not respect religious beliefs
- American Christians, you don’t believe or practice what the Bible says about marriage
- Are you a meta Atheists or pop Atheists
- A modest proposal on the moral imperative of teacher accountability
Movies, Music, and Television
- The world won’t improve until you stop being a vidiot
- Why the movie “Brave” made me facepalm
- Why the movie “Tomorrowland” made me facepalm
- 6 reasons not to let your children read/watch Twilight
- A basic Hollywood movie plot outline template
- A basic Hollywood sitcom episode plot template
- The Warhol Effect
- What is the difference between good art and bad art?
- Funny anthropomorphic illustrations of common dinners
- This Was Your Life: The modern artist (Comic)
- The importance of style
- Why men should wear nice underwear
- We need to talk about this pants situation
Food and Drinks
- What’s the difference between expensive wine and cheap wine?
- The time I worked in an apple orchard
- 5 reasons why I hate Starbucks
- The customer is not always right
- This Was Your Life: The Vegetarian (Comic)
- Cost/benefit analysis of internet trolling
- My opinion on online sharing
- 26 things I wish someone would invent
- Tips to follow when contacting your computer help desk
- Introduction to cryptocurrency
- The most important factor in the value of cryptocurrencies, and how it applies to STEEM
- Introduction to Steemit.com
- 9 reasons why writers should blog
- 11 things I learned about blogging from blogging on Myspace
- Highway to the Thunderdome: A Story about Digital Piracy (Comic)
Social Justice Warriors
- My theory on social justice warriors
- Two Feminist Ladies (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: The Radical Feminist (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: Two Social Justice Warriors (Comic)
Liberals and Conservatives
- An open letter to liberal Americast
- An open letter to conservative America
- What should Republicans and Democrats do about Trump?
- Conservatives, stop talking about overthrowing the government
- Right wing entertainment news is making America worse
- My theory on why Fox News acts so biased and evil
- This was your life: A liberal and a conservative (Comic)
- Two conservative ladies (Comic)
Baby Boomers and The Younger Generations
- 10 mistakes the future generation won’t make
- 14 ways American parents created the children they complain about
Racism and Xenophobia
- Hating white people isn’t logical or helpful
- Everyone is a little racist and what we should do about it
- A white man explains the Black Lives Matter movement
- What should racists do about Trump?
- What should xenophobes do about Trump?
- What should minorities do about Trump?
- This was your life: The racist (Comic)
- 9 reasons foreigners look down on Americans
Conspiracy Theories and Theorists
- My theory on every major conspiracy theory
- My unifying conspiracy theory
- My ghost story
- My UFO story
- Have a sane perception of conspiracy theories
- Don’t give conspiracy theorists your money
- This Was Your Life: The conspiracy theorist (Comic)
Feel free to leave a comment.