13. I will not call a small cup of coffee a “tall” cup of coffee.
The reason Starbucks uses Orwellian doublespeak for its coffee sizes is because some marketing executives held a meeting to figure out how to manipulate people into paying $5+ for 10 cents of liquid, and they decided it would help to change the names of the sizes to sound hipper. Not that I would buy coffee at Starbucks anyway, but if I did I would refuse to act like a mindless consumer whore and give into their hollow marketing ploy. I certainly wouldn’t celebrate it.
12. I will not call a medium sized cup of coffee a “vente.”
11. Unless I’m in Italy or a Spanish speaking country, I will not call a large cup of coffee a “grande.”
10. I will not say “bless you” when you sneeze.
That custom started because the Romans thought your soul escaped your body when you sneezed. At some point, the phrase was stolen by the mythology-worshiping Christians who replaced the mythology-worshiping Romans and everyone started saying it because it just seemed nice. In reality, it’s ultimately pointless. As polite a gesture as it may be, it still reveals one’s unquestioning complicity in holding onto obsolete customs. So if you tell me “bless you” when I sneeze I have to wonder what other dumb (and possibly sinister) customs you’re wasting your life with because your actions are defined by mimicking other unquestioning automatons. You may argue to your death that it’s not a big deal, but point in fact, the world would be a smarter place if we stopped saying, “bless you” when people sneeze.
9. I will not address someone with a Ph.D. as “Doctor so and so.”
People with a Ph.D. will respond to this by saying, “I didn’t go to school for 8 years for nothing.” Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s cool that you went to school for 8 years, and you probably know a few things that I don’t, but that doesn’t obligate me to you in any way. I will not give you a mental hand job, and if you were really so smart you wouldn’t ask me to….since there’s no logical reason to.
8. I will not address a judge as “your honor.”
I don’t care what job you have. That doesn’t automatically make you more honorable than me. For all I know, you may be a terrible person, and even if I do respect you because I know you personally, I still find no logical reason to place you above me.
7. I will not address anyone as “sir or ma’am” in a way that signifies their authority over me.
I won’t address my elders, my boss, a military officer, a police officer, a judge, a politician or anyone else with a “higher” title than me as “sir” or “ma’am,” because we were born equals. We’ll spend our lives as equals, and we’ll die as equals. If reason were a religion it would be sacrilegious to address my equals with a higher title than me. I understand that many people say (and believe) that we call our equals “sir and ma’am” out of respect…but it’s funny how the people who tell us to subjugate ourselves “out of respect” are usually in the business of controlling us.
6. I will not address or refer to a priest as “father.”
Even when I was a Christian in high school I understood that Jesus called himself “the son of man” as a sign of humility and taught that “the lowest among you is the greatest.” He praised a girl who washed his feet with her hair and condemned the religious leaders of the day for putting on airs. So a Christian calling another Christian (who is not their biological father) “father” is sacrilegious. Now that I’ve grown up and understand Christianity is mythology and everyone is equal, the idea of calling a priest “father” is even more repulsive.
5. I will not call or refer to the Dali Lama “His Holiness.”
He’s not holy. He’s a pissing, shitting, aging, ordinary human like the rest of us. The only things extraordinary about him are how flabby his arms are from never having to lift his silver spoon to his mouth himself in his life and what an unconscionable liar and/or megalomaniac he is for pretending to be a reincarnated ubber man. I don’t care how polite he is or how resolutely he stands for peace and freedom (as if nobody else in the world felt that way). If anyone else expected to be called “His Holiness” for that, we would be calling a mental institute to take them to a padded room.
4. I will not call America a democracy.
It’s not. It’s a republic. This isn’t stretching the truth. It’s not meant to be disrespectful. Look it up. Would you call Communist China a democracy? No. You wouldn’t because it’s not. So why would you call America a democracy when it’s a republic? If you argue democracies and republics aren’t mutually exclusive, and America contains democratic elements, I would say those elements are so broken they don’t work like a functional democracy. The election system is rigged to concentrate power in the hands of the people who control the RNC and DNC, and those people work for their corporate donors. So America is more like an oligarchy or a corporatocracy than a democracy.
3. I will not say or type “LOL” in conversation.
If you can’t see how using “LOL” in conversation makes you look dumb, then you’re probably too dumb to understand the reasons even if they were spelled out for you.
2. I will not pledge allegiance to any flag.
Flags aren’t more important than humans, and any virtuous ideals flags supposedly represent are virtuous because they empower people. When people subjugate themselves to a flag they undermine those values. Not pledging allegiance to a flag does more to promote truth, justice, freedom, and equality than bending the knee to an inanimate object that was pushed on you by the leaders of the country you were arbitrarily born into. I will not disrespect my brothers and sisters in other countries by letting a flag or the manipulative practices of politicians divide us.
1. I will not refer to September 11th, 2001 as “9/11.”
“9/11” is a hip media catchphrase. It’s a pop culture buzz word. September 11th, 2001 wasn’t hip. It wasn’t cool. It was a tragedy, and reducing that tragedy to the same level of vocabulary as “LOL” is a disgraceful insult to those who died.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
General Pop Culture
- 8 Ways pop culture warps our perception of reality
- Why you should boycott pop culture
- 10 signs you’re a sheeple
- 10 reasons you’re surrounded by idiots
- You might be depressed because the system is crazy, not because you are
- 20 problems Americans accept as normal but don’t have to
- 7 economic injustices we all accept
- Holding onto out cultures is holding the world back
- Recommended intelligent books and videos
- My theory on gun control
- Stop talking about guns and start talking about poverty
- My theory on illegal immigration
- Borders are inhumane
- 7 reasons minimum wage should be higher
- Is it lazy to not want to work?
- It’s time to stop guilt-tripping poor people into saving the environment
- The Global Warming Denier
- What are transsexuals? Why are they suddenly popular? Why do Conservative fear them?
- Should transsexuals be allowed in the military?
- 9 reasons not to join the united states military
- Patriotism is not a virtue. It’s insanity.
- American cops, you’re delusional if you don’t understand why civilians hate you
- Why are Americans so violent and unhappy?
- Stop treating people like shit and they’ll start giving a fuck
- Americans need to learn the difference between socialism, communism, and capitalism
- Why Obamacare made me facepalm
- Islam needs an intervention
- Never Forget Chick-Fil-A’s Inequality Appreciation Day
- It’s time to stop mutilating baby boys’ genitals
- Why you should not respect religious beliefs
- American Christians, you don’t believe or practice what the Bible says about marriage
- Are you a meta Atheists or pop Atheists
- A modest proposal on the moral imperative of teacher accountability
Movies, Music, and Television
- The world won’t improve until you stop being a vidiot
- Why the movie “Brave” made me facepalm
- Why the movie “Tomorrowland” made me facepalm
- Why did “Full House” and “Saved by the Bell” exist?
- 6 reasons not to let your children read/watch Twilight
- A basic Hollywood movie plot outline template
- A basic Hollywood sitcom episode plot template
- The Warhol Effect
- What is the difference between good art and bad art?
- Funny anthropomorphic illustrations of common dinners
- This Was Your Life: The modern artist (Comic)
- The importance of style
- Why men should wear nice underwear
- We need to talk about this pants situation
Food and Drinks
- What’s the difference between expensive wine and cheap wine?
- The time I worked in an apple orchard
- 5 reasons why I hate Starbucks
- The customer is not always right
- This Was Your Life: The Vegetarian (Comic)
- Cost/benefit analysis of internet trolling
- My opinion on online sharing
- 26 things I wish someone would invent
- Tips to follow when contacting your computer help desk
- Introduction to cryptocurrency
- The most important factor in the value of cryptocurrencies, and how it applies to STEEM
- Introduction to Steemit.com
- 9 reasons why writers should blog
- 11 things I learned about blogging from blogging on Myspace
- Highway to the Thunderdome: A Story about Digital Piracy (Comic)
Social Justice Warriors
- My theory on social justice warriors
- Two Feminist Ladies (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: The Radical Feminist (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: Two Social Justice Warriors (Comic)
Liberals and Conservatives
- An open letter to liberal Americast
- An open letter to conservative America
- What should Republicans and Democrats do about Trump?
- Conservatives, stop talking about overthrowing the government
- Right wing entertainment news is making America worse
- My theory on why Fox News acts so biased and evil
- This was your life: A liberal and a conservative (Comic)
- Two conservative ladies (Comic)
Baby Boomers and The Younger Generations
- 10 mistakes the future generation won’t make
- 14 ways American parents created the children they complain about
Racism and Xenophobia
- Hating white people isn’t logical or helpful
- Everyone is a little racist and what we should do about it
- A white man explains the Black Lives Matter movement
- What should racists do about Trump?
- What should xenophobes do about Trump?
- What should minorities do about Trump?
- This was your life: The racist (Comic)
- 9 reasons foreigners look down on Americans
Conspiracy Theories and Theorists
- My theory on every major conspiracy theory
- My unifying conspiracy theory
- My ghost story
- My UFO story
- Have a sane perception of conspiracy theories
- Don’t give conspiracy theorists your money
- This Was Your Life: The conspiracy theorist (Comic)