Think about any behavior that constitutes professionalism: wearing business suits, ties, leather shoes, addressing people with formal speech, prostrating yourself before abusive customers, sitting upright in your chair, etc. None of these behaviors are necessarily things you’d choose to do on your free time. In your free time, you wear comfortable clothing, speak naturally and honestly, stand up for yourself, lounge around comfortably, etc.
Professionalism is an unnatural set of behaviors forced upon you by someone else to improve their company’s image at the expense of your freedom and comfort. Professionalism ties your hands behind your back and prevents you from living how you want to…just like a straitjacket. This is inhumane and defeats the purpose of working in the first place.
Why does your job exist? What does your business provide society and why? Why does our economy exist in the first place? We work to survive and find happiness. The whole point of working or even having this gigantic, intricate, thriving economy, is to streamline the hunting/gathering/tool making process so that we don’t have to waste our lives fighting for survival.
In other words, our economy has grown out of the desire to be happier, but professionalism stifles us all day every day. So if your company enforces strict standards of professionalism and makes a lot of money, and even if it makes its customers happy, it defeats the purpose of its existence by making its workers less happy than they could be if they were allowed their basic human rights.
If you ever see a company that has very strict standards of professionalism you automatically know that that company’s C.E.Os don’t care about their workers’ rights, dignity or comfort. For a dollar, they’d gladly put their workers in a straitjacket and tell them to like it.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
Predatory Capitalism Creates Poverty
- Poverty is the root of the world’s biggest problems, and predatory capitalism is the root of poverty
- The fundamental problem with the economy
- The poor aren’t taking all your money. The rich are.
- 7 economic injustices we all accept
- The downside of economic growth
- Cost/benefit analysis of economic oppression
- How predatory capitalism warps the way we define maturity
- The lottery is a microcosm of America
- Stop talking about guns and start talking about poverty
- How the economy works (Comic)
Socialism and Communism
- Americans need to learn the difference between socialism, communism, and capitalism
- Billionaires won’t save you, and socialism won’t kill you
- Who will help me make some bread? (Short story)
The Life of the Rich
- The legacy of a billionaire
- The letter I’ll never send my CEO
- This Was Your Life: The billionaire (Comic)
- How becoming a billionaire works (Comic)
The Life of the Poor
- What it’s like to be poor
- My American Beauty-esque rant about life in America
- Why do poor people play the lottery?
- Why are Americans so violent and unhappy?
- You might be depressed because the system is crazy, not because you are
- The Adventures of Monk and Punk: Book 1 (Comic)
- Occupy LOL Street: The Plight of the Homeless (Comic)
Oppression in the Workplace
- Advice for young workers
- Stop treating people like shit and they’ll start giving a fuck
- 7 ways worker’s rights still need to improve
- 7 reasons minimum wage should be higher
- The injustice of employee contracts
- We need to do more to help people get the job they’re suited for
- The customer is not always right
- A Brief History of the Working Class (Comic)
Success and Retirement
- Life Path Flow Chart
- Why does it have to be so hard to retire?
- How to escape poverty
- Have a healthy balance of passion and duty
- Is it lazy to not want to work?
The Housing Market
- The housing market is a crime against humanity
- Suburbia is a sensory deprivation chamber
- How the housing market works (Comic)
Healthcare in America
The Stock Market
- How the stock market works (Comic)
- How bank greeters work (Comic)
- How freedom works (Comic)
- What America’s class and tax system really looks like
- 12 Things wrong with America’s tax system
- Why do so many small businesses fail?
- A novel approach to taxing the rich
- Introduction to cryptocurrency
- The most important factor in the value of cryptocurrencies, and how it applies to STEEM
Fixing the Economy
- My 1-point plan on how to save the world
- Humanity’s quality of life is relative to the quality of business model we use
- Politics won’t stop being evil until economics stops being evil
- Collapse is the product of unsustainability. Sustainability is the product of sustainability.
- The economy needs a love stimulus
- The world won’t get better until you stop being a consumer whore
- Buy a better world by donating dividends
- One dollar equals one vote in the economy