10. You own an expensive vehicle.
You don’t need a $40,000 vehicle to get from point A to point B. The only reason to own a $40,000 car is because you want one. Why do you want one? Because you were told to want one… and you obeyed.
9. You watch the top 10 highest rated television shows.
This wouldn’t be the case if the top 10 television shows were beacons of genius. As it stands, the top 10 television shows are beacons of petty ignorance because stupid sells better than genius. The reason stupidity sells so well is because people who don’t think flock towards stupidity because it’s familiar and safe. It reinforces their egos without ever challenging them. If you’re confused as to whether or not you’re a sheeple you can check to see if any of your favorite television shows are on the top of the Neilsen ratings.
8. You believe that the music you listen to and the clothes you wear make you unique and/or rebellious.
Music and fashion are mass produced consumer goods no matter what label they fall under. I don’t care if you’re hip/hop, grunge, indie, metal, emo, punk, hardcore, country, death metal or classical. There’s somebody else out there listening to the same music as you, wearing the same clothes that were made in the same sweatshops, congratulating themselves for being unique just like you. But you’re not unique. You’re defining your identity by associating it with mass-produced consumer products that you’re going to stop listening to/wearing when it goes out of style. I’m not saying you can’t listen to music or wear clothes. Just don’t assume any of it makes you a rebel.
7. You don’t read or you only read popular fiction.
In order to grow and change you need to learn. In order to learn, eventually you’re going to have to read a book. If you’re not reading then you’re not learning much outside of the pop culture you’re bombarded with every day.
6. You get along with pretty much everybody.
On the surface, it sounds noble and virtuous to get along with everybody, but most people are stupid. Stupid people are afraid of ideas. Smart people have ideas. If you’re smart, stupid people won’t like you. If you get along with everybody you either don’t have any ideas to offend their stupidity with or you’re not standing up for your intelligent ideas, and if you’re not going to stand up for what’s right then you’re stupid.
5. Similar to #6: You automatically disagree with people all the time.
If you do this you probably don’t notice, but it’s pretty easy to spot when other people do it. So think about this. Non-thinking people don’t weigh pros and cons logically. They just defend what they already believe and automatically reject everything else even if it’s mundane and trivial. If it doesn’t already have a place in their mind already it’s not coming in. So they constantly disagree with other people. They think this makes them smart because they’re so “good” at coming up with arguments and playing the devil’s advocate. The more they shoot down other people’s ideas and shut them up, the smugger and more genius it makes them feel, but all they’re really doing is building a higher and higher wall around their mind.
4. Your best friends are stupid.
We hang out with people we’re comfortable with. Now be honest. Are your best friends stupid? If they are, then the reason you’re friends with them is because you’re stupid.
3. You have no philosophy or your philosophy is vague to the point of being useless.
Here’s a simple sheeple test in one question: What’s your philosophy on life? Don’t have an answer ready to go? Your mind is empty. You’re following the herd.
But don’t take my word for it. Go do a survey. Go ask everyone you know what their philosophy on life is. Most people won’t have an answer. That means they don’t know how to live. So all they can do is just follow the herd and convince themselves that whatever they’re already doing is novel and ideal. But what they’re doing is neither novel nor ideal.
A thinker would be able to immediately give you a summary of their philosophy and tell you a long, arduous story about how they came to that conclusion, and they would go out of their way to make the disclaimer that their answers aren’t conclusive, their journey isn’t over and they’ll have more to say on the matter every year.
2. You believe in religion.
All religion is mythology. It’s just stuff humans made up and told their descendants not to question. Believing something that isn’t true and refusing to consider the evidence is the definition of a blind follower. Don’t get mad at me for calling people who worship mythology sheeple, get mad at Jesus for comparing himself to a shepherd. I’m also not saying that being an atheist makes you smart and independent. There are plenty of pop atheists who have rejected religion just because it’s trendy, and that makes them sheeple as well.
1. You don’t think you’re a sheeple.
I don’t say this hypocritically. I say it self-deprecatingly. Every one of us is a product of the environment we were raised in. Our most basic assumptions about life, existence, and our own identity are interwoven with the fabric of society so tightly it’s usually impossible to tell where society’s ideas end and ours begin. The world simply can’t be divided into sheeple and nonconformists. We’re all sheeple.
If you don’t think you’re a sheeple you’ll never have any motivation to analyze your beliefs and behaviors objectively to decide if you’re doing anything stupid or herd-minded. However, once you admit you’ve been guilty of following the herd your entire life then you’ll be motivated to tear yourself apart looking for the disgusting stains of society within yourself. And when you do that you’ll also find the good parts of your personality that society helped build within you.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
General Pop Culture
- 8 Ways pop culture warps our perception of reality
- Why you should boycott pop culture
- 10 reasons you’re surrounded by idiots
- 13 things I won’t say anymore
- You might be depressed because the system is crazy, not because you are
- 20 problems Americans accept as normal but don’t have to
- 7 economic injustices we all accept
- Holding onto out cultures is holding the world back
- Recommended intelligent books and videos
- My theory on gun control
- Stop talking about guns and start talking about poverty
- My theory on illegal immigration
- Borders are inhumane
- 7 reasons minimum wage should be higher
- Is it lazy to not want to work?
- It’s time to stop guilt-tripping poor people into saving the environment
- The Global Warming Denier
- What are transsexuals? Why are they suddenly popular? Why do Conservative fear them?
- Should transsexuals be allowed in the military?
- 9 reasons not to join the united states military
- Patriotism is not a virtue. It’s insanity.
- American cops, you’re delusional if you don’t understand why civilians hate you
- Why are Americans so violent and unhappy?
- Stop treating people like shit and they’ll start giving a fuck
- Americans need to learn the difference between socialism, communism, and capitalism
- Why Obamacare made me facepalm
- Islam needs an intervention
- Never Forget Chick-Fil-A’s Inequality Appreciation Day
- It’s time to stop mutilating baby boys’ genitals
- Why you should not respect religious beliefs
- American Christians, you don’t believe or practice what the Bible says about marriage
- Are you a meta Atheists or pop Atheists
- A modest proposal on the moral imperative of teacher accountability
Movies, Music, and Television
- The world won’t improve until you stop being a vidiot
- Why the movie “Brave” made me facepalm
- Why the movie “Tomorrowland” made me facepalm
- Why did “Full House” and “Saved by the Bell” exist?
- 6 reasons not to let your children read/watch Twilight
- A basic Hollywood movie plot outline template
- A basic Hollywood sitcom episode plot template
- The Warhol Effect
- What is the difference between good art and bad art?
- Funny anthropomorphic illustrations of common dinners
- This Was Your Life: The modern artist (Comic)
- The importance of style
- Why men should wear nice underwear
- We need to talk about this pants situation
Food and Drinks
- What’s the difference between expensive wine and cheap wine?
- The time I worked in an apple orchard
- 5 reasons why I hate Starbucks
- The customer is not always right
- This Was Your Life: The Vegetarian (Comic)
- Cost/benefit analysis of internet trolling
- My opinion on online sharing
- 26 things I wish someone would invent
- Tips to follow when contacting your computer help desk
- Introduction to cryptocurrency
- The most important factor in the value of cryptocurrencies, and how it applies to STEEM
- Introduction to Steemit.com
- 9 reasons why writers should blog
- 11 things I learned about blogging from blogging on Myspace
- Highway to the Thunderdome: A Story about Digital Piracy (Comic)
Social Justice Warriors
- My theory on social justice warriors
- Two Feminist Ladies (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: The Radical Feminist (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: Two Social Justice Warriors (Comic)
Liberals and Conservatives
- An open letter to liberal Americast
- An open letter to conservative America
- What should Republicans and Democrats do about Trump?
- Conservatives, stop talking about overthrowing the government
- Right wing entertainment news is making America worse
- My theory on why Fox News acts so biased and evil
- This was your life: A liberal and a conservative (Comic)
- Two conservative ladies (Comic)
Baby Boomers and The Younger Generations
- 10 mistakes the future generation won’t make
- 14 ways American parents created the children they complain about
Racism and Xenophobia
- Hating white people isn’t logical or helpful
- Everyone is a little racist and what we should do about it
- A white man explains the Black Lives Matter movement
- What should racists do about Trump?
- What should xenophobes do about Trump?
- What should minorities do about Trump?
- This was your life: The racist (Comic)
- 9 reasons foreigners look down on Americans
Conspiracy Theories and Theorists
- My theory on every major conspiracy theory
- My unifying conspiracy theory
- My ghost story
- My UFO story
- Have a sane perception of conspiracy theories
- Don’t give conspiracy theorists your money
- This Was Your Life: The conspiracy theorist (Comic)