I recently wrote a strongly worded letter to conservative America. So it’s only fair that I send one to liberal America too.
Unfortunately, as I pointed out in my previous letter, there’s no such thing as “liberal America.” It’s a catch-all term conservatives use to lump everyone they disagree with together so they’ll have someone to blame all their problems on. This makes it impossible to write a letter to liberals, but to be fair to conservatives, I really need to say something. So I’m going to hazard some generalizations. If you consider yourself a liberal, then all/some/or none of the things I say may apply to you. If something that doesn’t apply to you. then it doesn’t apply to you.
END OF DISCLAIMER
The first thing card-carrying liberals need to understand is, voting for Democrats will never make the world a better place. At best, it’s voting for the lesser of two evils, but neither Democrat or Republican politicians are accountable to their voters. They’re only accountable to their financial sponsors. Those are the only people whose interests are represented in the government. That’s why both Democrats and Republicans consistently pass legislation that helps make the rich richer and the poor poorer. That’s why if you write to your Congressman, your letter will get read by a young intern who will send you a meaningless form letter. Your political leaders don’t represent you. They just endure you. If you continue voting for Democrats because you think they’re going to change anything other than making the rich richer and the poor poorer, then you’re part of the problem.
This raises the question, “If voting doesn’t work then what can we do?” It’s been my experience that 99 times out of 100 when someone asks, “Yeah, but what can we do?” it’s not because they’re looking for actual solutions that they can put at the top of their priority list of things to spend their free time on. They’re saying it as an excuse to give themselves permission to throw their hands up in the air and quit thinking before they even started.
Let me ask you this, “What were you going to do?” Statistically speaking, you’ll probably spend less than 1% of your time or money on humanitarian or activism-related activities. You’re going to spend more time shopping, watching TV and looking for “the one” than you’re going to spend helping other people or trying to solve the world’s problems. You’re going to spend most of your time working for a business that makes the owner, C.E.O. and investors filthy rich while the rest of the employees drown in debt and worry.
Sure, you may volunteer at the recycling center on the weekends. You may plant a tree on Arbor Day. You might even have a recurring direct deposit to feed an African child. But you just punch your humanitarian time card enough to feel smug. The real guiding star in your life is chasing a higher paycheck so you can buy more shit you don’t need that was made in a sweatshop by a child laborer in India, Vietnam, China or any of the other countries America exploits for its human resources.
The 1% you hate so much are so fat because you’ve dedicated your life to feeding them. To the human beings who make all the cool stuff in your house that you don’t need, you’re the 1%. Your liberal beliefs don’t make you a part of the solution, because 99% of the time you don’t act on them. You spend that time being a part of the problem.
What can you do? Look around you. The American people are on autopilot. All they care about is eating, shopping and watching movies, and they’ll defend their arrogance to the death. America is Idiocracy. There’s no reasoning with these people. The best advice I can give you is to build a bunker and try to survive the apocalypse the American public is working so hard on bringing down on itself.
If you really want to do something productive with your life, here are a few other suggestions:
1. Donate to free online schools like the Khan Academy.
The world sucks because people are stupid. Enlightened, educated people translates into an enlightened society. If everyone in the world had free education they could all help themselves. Nothing will bring the world closer to utopia faster than free education.
2. Boycott the pop culture that’s making you dumber.
Turn off Jersey Shore and watch Stephen Hawking’s Universe. Turn off Lady Gaga and listen to an audiobook version of Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States.” When you’re finished with that then ask yourself what the next most important thing you can possibly learn is. If you can’t figure that out then devote your free time to figuring it out. Keep learning the most important things in descending order until you die.
3. Educate others.
If you know something really important that other people don’t then devote your free time to telling people about it. The problem with the world isn’t that we’re talking too much and acting too little. We haven’t talked enough yet. If we’d talked enough about the most important issues then everybody would be on the same page and we’d all be ready to act in unison. We’re fractured because nobody knows what the hell is going on. If you’re not talking about the world’s problems, identifying their causes, figuring out solutions and advocating them then you’re part of the problem.
4. Don’t go into debt buying junk you don’t need.
Debt is slavery. If you’re a debt slave then you have no leverage to stand up for yourself. Spending your money responsible will free you. Of course, in a debt-driven, consumer economy we live in this will lower demand for products and thus lower demand for workers, and the whole system will break down. The solution to this problem isn’t to keep eating your own tail. It wouldn’t matter if there were no demand for products we don’t need if we lived in sustainable cities instead of unsustainable suburbs where everything is expensive as possible. Make your home and your city self-sufficient and you’ll free yourself from the fear of destitution that keeps you locked in a cubicle dying inside every day.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
General Pop Culture
- 8 Ways pop culture warps our perception of reality
- Why you should boycott pop culture
- 10 signs you’re a sheeple
- 10 reasons you’re surrounded by idiots
- 13 things I won’t say anymore
- You might be depressed because the system is crazy, not because you are
- 20 problems Americans accept as normal but don’t have to
- 7 economic injustices we all accept
- Holding onto out cultures is holding the world back
- Recommended intelligent books and videos
- My theory on gun control
- Stop talking about guns and start talking about poverty
- My theory on illegal immigration
- Borders are inhumane
- 7 reasons minimum wage should be higher
- Is it lazy to not want to work?
- It’s time to stop guilt-tripping poor people into saving the environment
- The Global Warming Denier
- What are transsexuals? Why are they suddenly popular? Why do Conservative fear them?
- Should transsexuals be allowed in the military?
- 9 reasons not to join the united states military
- Patriotism is not a virtue. It’s insanity.
- American cops, you’re delusional if you don’t understand why civilians hate you
- Why are Americans so violent and unhappy?
- Stop treating people like shit and they’ll start giving a fuck
- Americans need to learn the difference between socialism, communism, and capitalism
- Why Obamacare made me facepalm
- Islam needs an intervention
- Never Forget Chick-Fil-A’s Inequality Appreciation Day
- It’s time to stop mutilating baby boys’ genitals
- Why you should not respect religious beliefs
- American Christians, you don’t believe or practice what the Bible says about marriage
- Are you a meta Atheists or pop Atheists
- A modest proposal on the moral imperative of teacher accountability
Movies, Music, and Television
- The world won’t improve until you stop being a vidiot
- Why the movie “Brave” made me facepalm
- Why the movie “Tomorrowland” made me facepalm
- Why did “Full House” and “Saved by the Bell” exist?
- 6 reasons not to let your children read/watch Twilight
- A basic Hollywood movie plot outline template
- A basic Hollywood sitcom episode plot template
- The Warhol Effect
- What is the difference between good art and bad art?
- Funny anthropomorphic illustrations of common dinners
- This Was Your Life: The modern artist (Comic)
- The importance of style
- Why men should wear nice underwear
- We need to talk about this pants situation
Food and Drinks
- What’s the difference between expensive wine and cheap wine?
- The time I worked in an apple orchard
- 5 reasons why I hate Starbucks
- The customer is not always right
- This Was Your Life: The Vegetarian (Comic)
- Cost/benefit analysis of internet trolling
- My opinion on online sharing
- 26 things I wish someone would invent
- Tips to follow when contacting your computer help desk
- Introduction to cryptocurrency
- The most important factor in the value of cryptocurrencies, and how it applies to STEEM
- Introduction to Steemit.com
- 9 reasons why writers should blog
- 11 things I learned about blogging from blogging on Myspace
- Highway to the Thunderdome: A Story about Digital Piracy (Comic)
Social Justice Warriors
- My theory on social justice warriors
- Two Feminist Ladies (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: The Radical Feminist (Comic)
- This Was Your Life: Two Social Justice Warriors (Comic)
Liberals and Conservatives
- An open letter to conservative America
- What should Republicans and Democrats do about Trump?
- Conservatives, stop talking about overthrowing the government
- Right wing entertainment news is making America worse
- My theory on why Fox News acts so biased and evil
- This was your life: A liberal and a conservative (Comic)
- Two conservative ladies (Comic)
Baby Boomers and The Younger Generations
- 10 mistakes the future generation won’t make
- 14 ways American parents created the children they complain about
Racism and Xenophobia
- Hating white people isn’t logical or helpful
- Everyone is a little racist and what we should do about it
- A white man explains the Black Lives Matter movement
- What should racists do about Trump?
- What should xenophobes do about Trump?
- What should minorities do about Trump?
- This was your life: The racist (Comic)
- 9 reasons foreigners look down on Americans
Conspiracy Theories and Theorists
- My theory on every major conspiracy theory
- My unifying conspiracy theory
- My ghost story
- My UFO story
- Have a sane perception of conspiracy theories
- Don’t give conspiracy theorists your money
- This Was Your Life: The conspiracy theorist (Comic)